The question is how to become a SEO consultant? Anyone living in Hong Kong can have an interest in search engine optimization and becoming an SEO expert.
But before all that should happen, a Hong Kong grown up person would be just like anyone else in the rest of the world, it has to go step by step. You will need to start with acquiring the necessary qualities and/or skills for working on search engine optimization projects and/or campaigns.
The SEO campaigns or projects may be for very large scale which belongs to a large international company with huge budget. The project may be simply for a HK local small business website to expand for search engine’s organic visibility in the Hong Kong market.
The qualities and skills that are required to become a SEO specialist (in your local region such as Hong Kong) include the following items.
- Understanding of how search engines work (i.e. typically how Google’s algorithms work)
- Understanding of the true meaning behind SEO and its power to many local businesses that are operating in Hong Kong
- Knowing where to learn the right SEO strategies (i.e. Not everything is acquired from a single place, but training, practical work experience, and experiments during spare time would all count)
- Staying connected with all the slightest changes in SEO and the algorithms
- Starting with practically using some of the most commonly known SEO tools (such as the free SEO tools)
- Gradually move on to test and use some of the more advanced paid SEO tools, when there is a need to explore due to more sophisticated project requirements (usually in some more specific industries where competitions are very severe)
- Everything about the practice SEO – Theory certainly helps to begin, but getting the hands dirty by doing it all practically is the one and only way to gain and accumulate the necessary experience for many years to come
- After gaining the experience, it is then time to demonstrate the SEO expertise
- Understanding of all the basic search engine marketing concepts
- Following the leads of the more established SEO Experts in the industry
- The critical thinking ability as a person
- Being able to combine SEO with content marketing
- The ability to write and speak
- Be Patient to wait for the right opportunities
- Technical abilities: Having some prior programming skills in any languages such as C++, PHP, Python would be a big plus
- Social skills – As a SEO specialist, you may need to reach out to other webmasters and SEO professionals from time to time
- Some advanced Excel skills – You are going to constantly deal with big sets of data
- Passion and sense of humor to keep you moving forward